3.9K views

Theft – Public Storage & Willis Insurance

The Turn a Blind Eye To Employee Theft

What you Need to Know before Your Rent a Storage Unit

Recently I rented a storage unit at Public Storage (location: 3659 S Ashland Ave, Chicago, IL 60609-1320. 773-247-8960) and purchased insurance. During the time I was unemployed and hospitalized and became behind on my account. During which time they removed my lock and replaced if with their lock to which all of their employees on site had access to. Long story short I caught my account up and paid ALL of the fees and my regular bill, only to discover over 10,000 of my property and mementoes had been stolen.

How do Public Storage employees get away with stealing your property and what can you do about it. The long story is to hold Public Storage accountable for securing the property you store with them and requiring Willis to present an insurance without a loophole for employee theft, which makes your policy null and void / or is not under your coverage.

Public Storage employees get away with theft because they know the insurance you purchase through Willis will only be covered if you can prove or state that it was forcible entry. And their policy reads “ Burglary: We will pay up to 100% of the Amount of Insurance for loss of Burglary. The term Burglary means the act of stealing by forcible entry into the storage space described in the Rental Agreement, and must be evidence by visible signs of forced entry. However, this coverage only applies when such storage space is securely locked at the time of the forcible entry, and does not apply to the lien enforcement procedures by the Owner. A missing lock, or the presence of a lock different than the lock placed on the storage space, is not sufficient, standing alone, to establish forcible entry. In the event of a burglary claim, you will bear the burden of proof to establish that a burglary occurred.

Public Storage also has you sign an “Insurance and Release of Liability Addendum to Lease/Rental Agreement” at the time you purchase insurance. “ . . . Owner and Owner’s Agents, affiliates, authorized representatives and employees (“Owner’s agents) will not be responsible for, and Occupant herby releases Owner and Owners Agents from responsibility for, any loss, liability, claim, expenses or damage to property that could have been insured (including without limitation any loss arising from the active or passive acts, omissions or negligence of Owner or Owner’s Agents) (the “released claims”).

In other words both Public Storage and Willis Insurance TURN A BLIND EYE TO EMPLOYEE THEFT. And take your insurance money knowing full well such a loophole exists. Also should you fall behind Public Storage will cancel your insurance. The Employees thus go into your unit by popping the lock (which they require you buy from them); using their replacement lock and go in and out of the unit as they wish making your insurance claim void because there is no sign of forcible entry as defined in the insurance policy.

Here what you can do, the short version:

• Seek alternative means of storing your property.

• Review all of your rental paper work in detail and revise as needed

• Move your property into another means of storage other than commercial storage

• Do Not sign the Insurance policy and Insurance and Release of Liability Addendum Lease / Rental Agreement as is. Write in your own line of denial of these terms and agreements.

• File a police report.

• Do file a complaint with the property manager.

• Do state the burglary was forcible entry and give evidence of forcible entry.

• Do obtain enough insurance to cover all of your belongings.

• Do replace their lock ASAP should they cut your lock.

• Do escalate the matter to senior staff at both Willis and Public Storage.

• Do share your story.

• Do file an insurance claim.

• Do leave a comment. And state if you would like follow up on signing a petition to stop this type of theft. I will follow up with you.

• Do sign the petition and reap something for your lost. Use your energy in a positive and productive way.

• Do use this information to rent wisely if you choose to rent a storage space.

• Do feel free to call and let Public Storage & Willis Insurance know what you think about theft at Public Storage. And when you do give them the reference to this complaint: PS1003. Do post your comments. Public Storage, 3659 S Ashland Ave, Chicago, IL 60609-1320, 773-247-1320). Willis Insurance, Inc., Willis Tower, 233 South Wacker Drive, Suite 2000, Chicago, IL 60606, 877-878-6730.

• Do not allow Willis to collect your money and deny your claim!

• Do not allow Public Storage to excuse Employee Theft!

Product or Service Mentioned: Public Storage Storage Unit.

Comments

Gardena, California, United States #1214436

Me and my fiancé had a unit in Wilmington, Ca, and it was a bill that my fiancé would pay. Little to my knowledge she had fell behind 3 months, and hey had cut the lock and replaced it with one of there's.

I had just so happened to go to the unit to grab something and found out I could not get into it. So I called my girl and she payed the $500+ bill and they said I needed to buy a new lock before they cut their lock off. So, I purchased a new lock and the guy drove me over to my space in his cart and cut their lock off. As he drove away I continued to open my storage door and as it rose up, ALL OF MY STUFF WAS MISSING.

4 dirt bikes all of my electronics and snowboards etc. Over 30 thousand dollars of my stuff. Come to find out, there was a inside nod of another 9 units, including mine, that the police had already had reports on. But there was only one camera in the entire place which was in the front gate.

Totally useless. Public storage is a joke.

I made a Police report and still haven't heard anything. Should have called lawyers but thought the police would've helped me.

Gulfport, Mississippi, United States #1209880

This just happened to me in Indianapolis, IN; I am in shock right now, trying to figure out what to do next. They are allowing someone to LIVE in one of the units!

I discovered this while moving out what was left of my belongings. Public Storage is absolutely the most disgusting company I have ever done business with. I was also unable to get my belongings due to a long illness, was threatened with auction, they removed my lock by cutting it with a grinder -- and did not tell me. I don't know where to begin.

Cops were no help. Told me this would not be criminal, but I would have to take civil action.

Inside job, with help from the police. How's that for secure storage while your life is vulnerable?

Chicago, Illinois, United States #1208407

This just happened to me. Please contact me to give move advice. You can email me empire.roi@gmail.com

That is absolutely against the law. As well, whenever they auction your belongings (in this case, they STOLE your belongings), they MUST provide you with any excess above the back charges you owe.

Eg. Of they sold your belongings at auction for $1000, and you owed $200 in back rent, they are legally required to return the $800 excess to you. Demand proof of what it sold for. But in your scenario, since you were NOT late, they stole from you and sold your stolen belongings.

Involve the police, then file a case with small claims court.

Record evrry interaction with these criminals. Do kot fold over and allow them to get away with this.

You MUST hold them accountable. Take these crooked pieces of garbage to small claims court.

Post your reviews of their shady business everywhere you can. Ensure they know that you will do whatever necessary to ensure they honor their agreements. You have proof they committed fraud. Involve the police.

Press charges. Do whatever it takes. He yelled at you to msle you back down. NEVER give them the satisfaction.

They are legally responsible. I wish you luck in making these lowlife scumbags pay.

What they had you sign is not enforceable. You need to take them to small claims court for the maximum amount allowed in your state.

This carries just as much weight as a sign in the parking garage that states "...owner is not responsible for damage to car...." They are simply hoping you won't do anything after reading the sign. THEY are liable. They could have just as easily placed the lock in addition to your. Locking you out, while ensuring they had no access themselves.

MAKE THESE LOWLIFES PAY. ABSOLUTELY UNACCEPTABLE BEHAVIOR, Public Storage at 3659 S Ashland Ave, Chicago, IL 60609-1320. 773-247-8960. You are trash.

And even with your overly generic name, you will lose business for being complete crooks.

Portland, Oregon, United States #1154465

My stuff was stolen by the employees at the Public Storage facility in Hillsboro, Oregon. I called the insurance company and they said the employees at the public storage canceled my insurance even though I have a receipt showing that I paid for it.

The district manager cussed me out when I called him about my insurance being canceled and half of my stuff being taken out my unit. The storage employees told the police they had the right to take my stuff because I never paid the bill but, I have a receipt showing my account is paid in full. The employees are involved in organized crime. The district manager cussed at me because he's guilty of theft.

They didn't leave me with a pot to cook with. my garbage bags were ripped apart because they went through my stuff. The employees told me that someone had a Uhaul truck stealing stiff from storage units but, they couldn't catch the people on camera! I believe the employees are stealing from storage units that's why they can't catch people stealing.

The storage business is very shady.

They didn't leave me with any clothes to wear. I'm reporting them to the FBI.

I had my belongings th ere for less than two weeks. By the time I came to get my things, my TV, Blowdryer, sun shades 5 pairs, iron new set of pots and pans were missing!

Never again. I called the insurance company, they told me they couldn't do a thin because there wasn't any visible sign of forced entry.

This is absolutely ridiculous. They hire thieves and they don't give a ***!

to Anonymous Portland, Oregon, United States #1154466

The employees took half of my stuff and I found out they charged me for insurance but, I didn't have it. The insurance company seem to use the excuse about the forced entry a lot because they know the employees are stealing.

My lock was changed by employees and they still said that wasn't forced entry! That's organized crime that needs to be reported o the FBI.

San Jose, California, United States #789766
PAID BILL ON THE 19 STILL AUCTIONED MY UNIT OFF SO LOST DONT SEE HOW IT WAS POSSIBLE :( :(
to Anonymous #1619198

Where was your storage unit? The same thing happened to us in Pinole ca it was sold on the 2/16/18 We had gotten a call saying there was an issue with the unit and Found out that a week before it was auctioned it had been broken into.

Had the unit since 2014 paid 300 a month, usually late but always paid it just in time. Before the voicemail or email would say your units up for auction for past due balance blah blah and then They got new employees and they would just say you need to make a payment of x amount. I would call back to make a payment/ find out the balance multiple times a day and never get an answer so I would leave a message asking them to call me back and they would call my daughters father instead who NEVER would answer their calls because he was working. And then once the unit was sold all the sudden they started answering my calls.

It was just super shady and I just don’t trust them. I have been looking for a way to verify when the unit was actually sold Like if the auction was actually on 2/16/2018

Very good review. Our group also recommends filing a police report and constantly reminding the police that this report is on file.

Cape Coral, Florida, United States #689262

Was there a tag on your unit when you went to replace your lock after you got caught up on the bill?

to Anonymous Phoenix, Arizona, United States #693038

The question is how many tags were placed on the unit. Right before a unit goes to auction is the prime time to go into a unit.

to Anonymous #1431321