9.7K views

Public Storage

11236 N 19th Ave

Phoenix, AZ 85029-4819

602-944-2707

Your website and the banner outside your physical location both advertise "first month for $1" but I was billed $12.50 instead.

When I called 877-788-2028, I was told by Jacquelynn that I had paid a lesser amount than what is reflected by both my bank statement and my account information on publicstorage.com.

I was also told that the 1 dollar promotional rate had been applied to ONE DAY because I began my rental on the very last day of the previous calendar month. I did NOT receive the first month for $1.

This is inexcusable and I will not rest until $11.51 is credited back to me. I chose Public Storage because of this promotional offer and I was jilted to the MAX!

You're scam artists, as far as I'm concerned, and I'm going to make a point to tell EVERYONE the kind of dirty dealings you put over on your customers. You should be ASHAMED!

Company wrote 0 public responses to the review from Aug 16, 2011.

Comments

Same thing happen to me. Also I reserved a 5x5. Online it says total amount due $84 And I can't use my own lock, rheybcharhe $19.99 for 40th lock.

You didn't read the contract or ask what the catch was? This one is one you.

Dallas, Texas, United States #1176201

Jesus christ, do you have nothing better to do than to cry about 11 bucks? Thats like 3 red bulls and a bag of chips

to Anonymous Irving, Texas, United States #1178922

Hahaha that was classic.....whoever you are!! God, I love a good laugh!

Thanks for making my day! To stress over 11 frogged bucks when she still saved like an additional 75 ....MI no comprende

They are scammers! I signed up for the $1 special, than got asked to pay taxes, administrative fees, and to purchase a $26 lock that was "required" to rent the storage.

However when I saw the unit that I was going to rent I could see that NOBODY had this special steel lock that was "required", they all had different locks. Also, I was required to purchase insurance. In order to rent the storage, they asked for a total of $56 dollars will all those things included. So I declined to rent it.

They wasted my time.

I don't mind paying required fees, but I do mind not being told up front about it, being lied to, and scammed! No thank you!!

to Anonymous Cincinnati, Ohio, United States #1082059

Same thing happened to me with the locks... out of 10 units around me, 8 had their own locks!!!

Also got scammed on the $1 month of rental... they told me "We take $1 off your second months rent" HAHA what a lie!

Yes I agree hold heartedly! !!

I just went there and they said the only one I could get for a dollar is the biggest one, lol rest of them would be half off! BULLLLL!!!

Noticing the employee comments, very arrogant. YOU, PS are advertising to induce a customer into your door, where you jack on a bunch more fees.

Then, 6 mos later, you jack the rent.

This company is getting rich, Robert Hovner, the greedy *** CEO rakes in 9 MILLION per year, the company doesnt give a *** about its customers, just getting our money. Sketchy at best.

jeanburke792
to Anonymous Mountain View, California, United States #1111741

ACTUALLY, THEY ARE A 18BILLION DOLLAR COMPANY. ONCE AGAIN YOU FOUND OUT IN TIME, LUCKY LUCKY YOU, AS FOR ME DUE TO HEALTH SITUATIONS AT HOME, I WAS THERE FOR EXACTLY 5 YEAR.

ME, NOT SO LUCKY. MY UNIT B-901 LOCATED AT 1250 ROCKAWAY AVENUE BKLYN N Y 11236 WAS TO THE EXTREME LEVEL WITH RATS, MICE STENCH AND VANDALISM YEAH. THEY NEVER EVER SHOWED UP TO ACKNOWLEDGE WHAT THEY PUT ME THROUGH.

THEY MADOFF WITH MY MONEY EVERY SINGLE MONTH AND MY BELONGINGS. IT WAS RATTED AWAY BY THE 4 LEGGED RAT'S AFTER THE 2 LEGGED ONE'S THREW IT AROUND AND VANDALIZE IT.

I agree I had a Similar situation. And the administrative fee is a joke which will trump your $1 first month.

It'll come out to $23 to a whopping 37 for the first month with that fee!

Rip off! !!

I rented an space an was offered 1 dollar for the first month but when at the office they said you pay the first month and the second month is for a buck

I"m in the meddle of a dispute where they now denied the 1 dollar deal and I"m behind one month now thanks to the lying sack of *** of their representative and their head quarters

I wouldn't mind to pay the rent but I didn't asked for discounts they told me about it now they changed the story bad business practices straight up liars

5x10 unit. $1 first month rent + $22 administrative fee (for printing a couple of pages that I need to sign, and for showing me the unit - which is a must have, just in case something is wrong with it.

Really? What can be possibly wrong with a unit since the last time you saw it? You walk by it only about 20 times a day. Oh, wait, no, you are busy watching TV...

never mind!

For some strange reason I thought that you already getting paid for making sure that there is nothing wrong with your units) + $11 for mandatory insurance (I don't want to insure my junk, just let me sign a waiver that I wont sue you if something happens to it) + $19 non-refundable fee for a strange looking lock - don't even think about bringing your own, it wont fit, total of $53 + tax - if it is not a rip off, it is false advertisement. Better yet, here is a brilliant idea for you folks at public storage - to get more business, why don't you advertise that you will pay your new clients $20 or so for the first month, and then just absorb it into some other mandatory fee, like health insurance, etc.

to Anonymous Seattle, Washington, United States #992165

Hey, don't give PS any more ideas!!!!!!!!!!!

Concord, California, United States #800689

11.51 for storing your stuff ,it isn't that bad ,suck it up and get on with your life .Cant believe you wrote a novel telling people why you got burned 11 dollars .YA TIGHT WAD

Of course it doesn't come out to being exactly $1, there's tax and other fees, but I thought that the $50 or whatever it came out to being was an excellent deal anyways! I rented a 10x20 unit that was able to fit everything I had in it when I was moving from my old house to my new one, and it really worked out well for me. It would have cost me $300 to rent a POD to store the same amount of stuff.

As a current Public Storage employee, the customers we deal with are not by any means anywhere near normal. They have an attention span of a peanut at best.

I find this one funny, because I've gotten this before as well... Obviously, the OP isn't all that bright. If you look at that same banner that you speak of, along the bottom says the following... "Offered on selected units only. Subject to availability. Other taxes, surcharges, and fees apply."

Obviously, the OP is the type of guy that would see a Volkswagen commercial, which promotes that you can drive a brand new car for practically your signature. He would go there, with a pen in hand, and then once he's told that they need to run his credit, he'll throw a temper tantrum and come on a site like this and complain. Get a grip, guy. I still want to think you're not that ***... but you're not doing yourself any favors.

@The original OP. No, you are wrong. You have 30 of storage bought with your $1. The difference of $12.50 is the result of our move in fee and sales tax (depends on the state... in my state the move in fee is $19, and it is applied to EVERY unit regardless of what special they have going).

You made this post on the 16th of August in 2011 about a unit you rented on the 31st of July 2011. You are paid through the 30th of July since it is a 30 day rental each month (30 day "contract" with no penalty for leaving early). There is a HOWEVER. Rent is always due on the first, but first month tenants are a bit of an exception.

If you rented on the 31st of July, your next month's rent is due on the first of August. This is only because you refused to pay the 1 day prorate for the next month that would have paid you through August. You don't get a penalty after the 6th like tenants who have had their unit more than 30 day. You just have unit the day after your 30 days (in this case August 31st) before a late fee is applied and the rest of the months rent is due (in this case, 1 days worth of rent).

By the way: there really isn't a whole lot of small print in the contract. Here is is laid out:

You will pay a move in fee (depends on state, it isn't that much.)

You need to have insurance on the space.

You need to have a lock.

On the topic of locks... Most of the people that bring their own lock bring *** locks. Our locks are amazing. I personally have tried to bolt cut own of our own locks from a customer request. I could not do it. The shackle of the lock wasn't exposed enough, and the *** lock wobbled around too much. I spend about 5 minutes trying to get it. 5 minuets is about 4 minuets and 45 seconds longer than any thieve would spend on doing a site breakin on a lock.

You just put your things in storage. You care about it obviously. Why don't you want to protect it? You don't have to use our insurance, but the thing is: most homeowners insurance company's don't cover rental units like this. Even if they do, the insurance is ***(I can say this because its the internet. I wouldn't be able to say this in the store).

It is a requirement. You assume all risk of lost to the items you are storing. What happens when your "storage neighbor" stacks up a mattress against the light bulb and forgets to turn the light off? You lose everything if you aren't insured. Guess what: its required that you have insurance so that you are covered because of this reason. Public storage can't control *** people who do *** *** in the space they rent.

As a property manager, I do get calls from our insurance from time to time and we do follow through with it.

to Employee #981232

I was just about to rent from Public Storage. I understand the cost of insurance, lock, and move-in fee and they are not a problem.

What is a problem are narcissistic managers. I will be choosing a professional company now, albeit for twice the price.

to Employee #1142976

How is a property owner not responsible for what happens on their property even if they try to get the customer to sign away their rights on property damage which should be illegal. Just because storage people repeat the same rhetoric regarding insurance does not make it true.

Also many home owners policies do cover off site storage.

That is the key phrase to ask a home owners policy agent.

Also what Public Storage or any other company considers policy might not be law. In any business what is legal, practical, reality or company policy are all different things.