I wish I had done my due diligence before getting a storage unit here. I called their 800# because I thought my payments were set up to automatically be deducted from my credit card.

No one ever explained this has to be done via the website. I called when I received the notice my payment was late. I was charged a $60 late fee. When asked if it could be waived I was told "no".

When I asked to speak to a manager I was told they were just going to give me the same answer "no". Obviously, for the representative, who was very pleasant, to tell me this information she had to have been given specific instructions to not allow the waiver of late fees. This directive had to come directly from corporate. I've worked in the customer service industry for over 23 years and while you can not accommodate or please every customer, meeting them half-way speaks volumes.

If it would have been offered for me to pay half of the late fee then I would have looked at them as wanting to make amends however there was no interest in building that bridge. So for a $60 late fee you have lost a repeat customer and everyone I know looking for storage I will not recommend Public Storage.

It's unfortunate when a company views their customers as just a means to getting them to their bottom line. With these types of policies in place you will always be in the business of looking for new customers because many of your customers will not return.

Reason of review: Problems with payment.

Preferred solution: Price reduction.

Comments

The person you spoke with in the office is correct. They can not waive a late fee in the office.

None of us can, we just do not have that ability. What we can do is "Create an issue" which would have sent that request up the chain to see if it will be waived, but as a new tenant, it would have been rejected.

You would have to have been there long enough to have an established account showing regular on time payments. As far as the autopay is concerned, you could have set that up when you rented the space or you could have set it up when you created your online account.

to Storage Employee #1594656

As I stated in my initial complaint I called the #800 number to get the late fee waived and not the office. Again, it was never explained that I could set up the automatic payments online and now you are telling me it could have been done in the store. A failure of communication and training on behalf of Publuc Storage but I as the consumer had to pay the price of your error.